Are you an experienced ecologist looking for the next step up in your career? Are you looking to increase your exposure to complex and rewarding projects? Do you want to join an established consultancy practice that prides itself in offering a great place to work? If so, we would love to hear from you.
We encourage everyone at all levels to be fully involved so they can really make a difference, not just for FPCR, but importantly for you and your enjoyment in coming to work.
We are seeking an enthusiastic Senior Ecologist to join our busy ecology department at our South East office in Dorking, Surrey.
FPCR Environment and Design Ltd is one of the UK’s leading integrated design practices working extensively throughout the UK. Over the last 60 years, the practice has developed a valuable mix of multi-disciplinary expertise in masterplanning, environmental assessment, urban design, landscape, ecology, architecture, arboriculture, and green infrastructure. Working together, we have implemented many award-winning schemes in environmentally sensitive locations.
As a practice, our ecology team is made up of over 90 ecologists working from four satellite offices in the UK. The Dorking Office consists of landscape architects and ten full-time ecologists of various levels, and a number of part-time surveyors and graduate student ecologists. We effectively cover the south-east region of the UK from Dorset to Suffolk, Sussex to Cambridge and beyond.
- At least a degree level or equivalent academic qualification in Ecology or related field;
- Full membership of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM) or other similar;
- A minimum of 5-years relevant experience with a level of people management experience, having already developed your core field and reporting skills in a consultancy role;
- Good knowledge of best practice survey techniques, relevant wildlife legislation and protected species licensing;
- An advanced understanding of ecology and wildlife protection in the context of the UK planning system;
- Specialist knowledge in a particular field of ecology (such as botanical or bats) and a class licence for one or more protected species;
- Demonstrable experience in complex report writing, inclusive but not limited to Preliminary Ecological Appraisal (PEA) reports, Ecological Impact Assessments (EcIA), Shadow/Informative Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA) documents, Species and Habitat Management Plans;
- Prior involvement either as a named ecologist or accredited agent on protected species development (derogation) licences;
- A level of competency in Microsoft Office software and preferably (although not essential) some knowledge of GIS packages.
- Excellent communication skills; and
- A full, clean UK driving licence and access to a vehicle.
What you can expect in return:
We are offering a competitive salary dependent on experience and skills, with the opportunity for annual bonuses, enrolment on our pension scheme and 25 days holiday and a holiday purchase system. Everyone is enrolled in a Bupa health and wellbeing cashback scheme.
Our employees really are our greatest asset, representing a wide range of skills and experience from across the field of UK ecology. We are proud to offer our staff at all levels the opportunity to pursue their individual interests as this helps us to facilitate shared learning across our practice.
We have an open and continual dialogue with our staff about their development needs and should any staff member have a particular interest in a certain subject or wish to develop a particular skill, the directors are happy to support them.
FPCR offers many workplace benefits, including activity and social events. FPCR is an equal opportunities employer.
If you feel you are the right candidate or feel you can offer FPCR’s ecology team other relevant experience and skills, please submit your CV along with a covering letter, together with any supporting documentation that you feel may be of interest.