FPCR have been at the forefront of the development of BNG since 2012, and we are now looking to make appointments to strengthen this position. The team have recently been heavily involved in the development of the 2.0 and 3.0 metrics, lead a consortium to develop the small sites metric, and completed a contract to design and build the BNG GIS templates. We are currently looking to diversify further to take advantage of new opportunities that are emerging because of the evolving legislative and policy framework in the UK.
This is an opportunity to take a leading role in the development of Biodiversity Net Gain and habitat banking, having a lasting impact on UK developments.
This is a rapidly evolving work area, and the specific responsibilities will develop and change over time. The biodiversity net gain specialist will need to maintain a flexible and adaptable attitude and approach. Initial broad work areas are outlined below:
What will you be doing?
- Undertaking fieldwork, including site surveys and monitoring
- Preparation of management plans and documents required to secure projects
- Liaison with various stakeholders including developers, local authorities, landowners, environmental NGO’s
- Engagement with developers, landowners, land managers and local delivery partners in relation to biodiversity net gain
- Engagement with LPA’s to develop arrangements to deliver the policy at a local level.
- Land management advice
- Habitat restoration advice
- Overseeing habitat creation projects
- Biodiversity net gain assessments, including use of biodiversity metrics and design and delivery of net gain solutions
- GIS mapping
- Development and input to other systems and projects as opportunities arise
- Associated consultancy services in support of the practices core business
What we are looking for
We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced ecologist that has the following skills.
Required skills and experience include:
- Degree level or equivalent academic qualification in Ecology or related field
- Membership of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM), eligibility for membership or other similar is desirable;
- Experience in the use of the 3.0 metric and condition assessments
- Knowledge of BNG principles and processes
- GIS use (preferably QGIS or aptitude to learn)
- Botanical survey experience – FISC 3 or equivalent
- Preparation of habitat management plans
- Stakeholder engagement
- A full, clean UK driving license and access to a vehicle
Desirable skills of interest include:
- FISC 4 or equivalent botanical expertise across a range of habitat types
- knowledge of the planning system
- Experience using UKHAB classification
- MoRPh 5 Rivers and Streams training
FPCR Environment and Design Ltd is one of the UK’s leading integrated design practices working extensively throughout the UK. Over the last 60 years the practice has developed a valuable mix of multi-disciplinary expertise in masterplanning, environmental assessment, urban design, landscape, ecology, architecture, arboriculture and green infrastructure. Working together, we have implemented many award-winning schemes in environmentally sensitive locations.
At the start of 2021 FPCR became an Employee-Owned business. Our people and culture are vital to the service we provide, and we feel this is the best way forward for the future of the practice. Employee Ownership will enable the whole team to share in the future growth and success of the business, whilst the practice can remain responsive, independent, and adaptable.
Our ecology team is led by three directors who each joined the company in junior positions and are committed to providing the same supportive and fostering environment that is at the heart of our practice. Our team of over 90 ecologists work out of four offices across the UK.
Could you be one of the experienced, talented and energetic professionals helping to continue the development of the team, responding to our clients and keeping FPCR moving forwards whilst responding to new challenges in ecological practice? The positions provide the right candidates with an ideal opportunity to be a part of a motivated team offering technical advice to a diverse range of clients covering projects across all aspects of ecology.
What you can expect in return:
Salary: £25-35k dependant on experience
Our employees really are our greatest asset, representing a wide range of skills and experience from across the field of UK ecology. We are proud to offer our staff at all levels the opportunity to pursue their individual interests as this helps us to facilitate shared learning across our practice.
We are offering a competitive salary (dependent on experience and skills) with permanent staff having the opportunity for annual bonuses, enrolment on our pension scheme and 23 days holiday and a holiday purchase system. Everyone is enrolled in a BUPA health and wellbeing cashback scheme.
FPCR offers many workplace benefits, including activity and social events. FPCR is an equal opportunities employer.
If you feel you are the right candidate, or feel you can offer FPCR’s ecology team other relevant experience and skills, please submit your CV along with a covering letter, together with any supporting documentation that you feel may be of interest.