Do you have a passion for environmental data and GIS mapping? Are you looking for a new challenge in an industry leading environmental consultancy?
FPCR are looking for a highly motivated graduate with a passion for the environment, GIS, and data management to join our growing technical support team. Our team of ecologists generate tens of thousands of records and maps every survey season and all of this data needs to be processed and converted into a range of high-quality outputs which are used to shape decisions and influence the development of the UK’s infrastructure.
The role provides an opportunity for graduate at the start of their career to gain experience across our portfolio of work including ecology, landscape & visual assessment, and arboriculture.
As part of your application, we would love to see some examples of your GIS work, get creative and impress us with your talents and well-produced maps.
In this role, you will be responsible for a broad range of GIS mapping and analysis tasks, interacting with bulk datasets and expanding our GIS capabilities.
This will include:
- Digitising map data
- Creating maps/drawings
- Capturing, managing and analysing data in GIS from multiple sources and in a variety of formats
- Biodiversity net gain assessments
- Ensuring project data and mapping standards are fully met.
- Ensuring the mapping and GIS data deliverables for projects are issued on time.
- Querying and questioning issues identified with data.
- Identifying time-saving solutions wherever possible for both data capture and mapping.
- Environmental data interpretation for projects including habitat and sensitivity mapping and constraints analysis.
- Carrying out desk studies, research and analysis.
We are looking for someone at Graduate level with an interest in Ecology/Geography that has the following skills:
- Knowledge and experience of using QGIS
- Ability to perform a wide range of functions in QGIS
- Experience of working with environmental data
- Ability to create new geopackages and templates
- Ability to use existing GIS templates
- Knowledge of data management good practice
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Possess initiative and a positive attitude
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and adapt to the teams changing needs
- In addition, some experience in AutoCAD would be beneficial but not essential as training can be provided.
FPCR Environment and Design Ltd is one of the UK’s leading integrated design practices working extensively throughout the UK. Over the last 60 years the practice has developed a valuable mix of multi-disciplinary expertise in masterplanning, environmental assessment, urban design, landscape, ecology, architecture, arboriculture and green infrastructure. Working together, we have implemented many award-winning schemes in environmentally sensitive locations.
At the start of 2021 FPCR became an Employee-Owned business. Our people and culture are vital to the service we provide, and we feel this is the best way forward for the future of the practice. Employee Ownership will enable the whole team to share in the future growth and success of the business, whilst the practice can remain responsive, independent, and adaptable.
Our ecology team is led by three directors who each joined the company in junior positions and are committed to providing the same supportive and fostering environment that is at the heart of our practice. Our team of over 90 ecologists work out of four offices across the UK.
Could you be one of the experienced, talented and energetic professionals helping to continue the development of the team, responding to our clients and keeping FPCR moving forwards whilst responding to new challenges in ecological practice? The positions provide the right candidates with an ideal opportunity to be a part of a motivated team offering technical advice to a diverse range of clients covering projects across all aspects of ecology.
What you can expect in return:
Our employees really are our greatest asset, representing a wide range of skills and experience from across the field of UK ecology. We are proud to offer our staff at all levels the opportunity to pursue their individual interests as this helps us to facilitate shared learning across our practice.
We are offering a competitive salary (dependent on experience and skills) with permanent staff having the opportunity for annual bonuses, enrolment on our pension scheme and 23 days holiday and a holiday purchase system. Everyone is enrolled in a BUPA health and wellbeing cashback scheme.
FPCR offers many workplace benefits, including activity and social events. FPCR is an equal opportunities employer.
If you feel you are the right candidate, or feel you can offer FPCR’s ecology team other relevant experience and skills, please submit your CV along with a covering letter, together with any supporting documentation that you feel may be of interest.